It's taken me a few weeks to get to this post, because there is so much to say! I think I am supposed to say "I can't believe she is so old!" ... but really, it feels about right. Emily is SO much fun right now. I wish I could capture her sweet little personality here!! Some things off the top of my head:
At 2, Emily is...
* verbal! she has a big vocabulary and is starting to use complex sentences (regularly over 10 words long). i love being able to talk to her. i should post sometime about some of the funny things she says.
* knows most of her letters
* affectionate. loves to give kisses & hugs, always wants to be held. loves to snuggle in bed with us in the morning.
* starting to potty train. doing great in big girl undies around the house, though we aren't ready to venture out in them yet or try them while sleeping.
* very excited about her little sister. she talks about hearing the baby's heart at the doctors ("sounds like thump thump thump") and her plans to "hold her in my arms".
* shy. she still doesn't like the nursery, and clings to me when around new people. very aware of other people though, and regularly talks about her friends or people who have come to the house.
* still tall, but catching up on weight (a much better eater than a few months ago!). at her 2 year check up she was 27lbs and almost 35". (i think those are around 40th & 75th percentiles). she still gets comments all the time on her beautiful long curls.
* a book-lover. she has a pretty long attention span, will sit through entire Dr. Seuss or Peter Rabbit books. Her favorite is the Jesus Storybook Bible ("The Jesus")...right now she's into Noah, Namaan, and the bit about Jesus loving the little children.
* also into... animals, rocks, bubbles, hikes with Dad (still using that Ergo!) in the trails behind our house & playing in the stream, puzzles, purses & backpacks, "helping", playgrounds, the Montshire museum...
Yesterday while she was impatiently waiting for me to get ready to take her to the outdoor water play section of the Montshire, she leaned over & put her hands on her knees (like an adult talking to a toddler) and said brightly with a big smile, "How bout... the museum?! How bout.. the water?! How bout...it's so exciting!".
We celebrated her 2nd birthday while we were in Philadelphia for Alden's high school graduation. Although we had to spend the 2nd half of the day in the car driving home, the morning was lovely! The whole family was there, plus dear Dutch friends Harmen & Inge. Emily had her 1st french braids, we had chocolate chip pancakes - with candles ("fire!") for Emily, opened presents, and visited the playground.
playing with (& wearing) some birthday presents