Monday, January 11, 2016

Winter Saturdays

We've ventured into the phase of more than one child with Saturday morning activities. :)  Yesterday morning I took Adara to her ski lessons and Emily rode with Mallory to their first basketball practice (not sure if it's called a practice since they don't play games yet at this age!).

Alasdair & Alden did Saturday morning chores and loaded up the car so we could head to Killington... we got there around mid-day, settled the kids in with Mimi and her amazing homemade play-do and Alasdair, Dad and I headed out to ski for a few hours.  It felt SO good to be out, despite the fact that very few trails were open and the fog was so thick it was hard to see!  We took the girls out for the last hour of the day for a few runs on the magic carpet, and one long run down Rams Head.  Adara isn't skiing on her own much yet, but Emily pleasantly surprised me with her confidence and stability!  I also finally understood why my mom used to be so nervous watching us ski, as I tried to keep my voice calm as I reminded Emily to turn (and eyed the steep drop off next to the trail) and also tried to keep myself between her and the many older kids zipping by her on either side. She was totally calm though, and stayed positive and got herself going again every time she fell.
(basketball & skiing in one day! lucky girl)

We had dinner at the Sunrise Cafe (so nice to have a place so close that's family friendly and has great food). The girls act a bit like they own the place; Emily walked up and ordered the girls meal from the pasta bar, and Adara had this conversation with the amused waitress.
Me: Girls, would you like vanilla ice cream for dessert?   You can choose plain or with chocolate syrup.
Emily: Plain vanilla please.
Adara: Hmmm, I think I'll have mine with a cherry on top.
{We all burst out laughing.  The waitress actually comes back with vanilla ice cream with a cherry.}
Me: Adara, what do you say to the waitress for bringing that for you??
Adara: Could I have some chocolate syrup?
{The kind and thankfully still amused waitress came back with chocolate syrup AND whipped cream.}
Adara with a big smile, this is the most delicious thing I've ever eaten! 

It was a great and full day; the kids fell asleep immediately in the car, and I went to bed as soon as we got home at 8:30. :)  There are some clips on our video page.

No comments:

Post a Comment