Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Welcome to our blog!

I love getting Christmas cards with pictures and letters. I also love reading my friends blogs. I have never done either of these things myself...but now that Emily is here, maybe the time has come. I'm thinking this blog can be a sort of baby book replacement, since I haven't gotten around to getting one of those, but you're all welcome to read along too! Who knows, maybe we'll even send out Christmas pictures this year...

I've made a bunch of posts to catch a bit of the last few weeks, although it hardly seems to do justice to everything we've been experiencing! Life before Emily seems like another lifetime altogether. I felt very disoriented; all of life had been turned upside down and we had to relearn how to function in this new world. Thank goodness for my mom!! I absolutely don't know how we would have survived the first weeks without her. I fed Emily and she did everything else, from cooking to cleaning to a million errands to pick up all the things we needed. That, and constantly reminding me that I was not supposed to have everything (or anything!) figured out yet, that I and Emi were both doing fine. I was also ridiculously emotional during the first couple weeks; everything made me cry, from being overwhelmed or happy or for no reason at all. I even choked myself up saying grace for dinner! It got to the point that Alasdair & my mom & I would just start laughing when I teared up. I also laughed a lot those first couple weeks. Alasdair especially liked that I was laughing at his jokes! It's really just been an amazing time, and we've been trying to soak everything in while she's so new.
The country song "It won't be like this for long" by Darius Rucker came out this spring while I was pregnant, and aside from making me cry (duh), it was a good reminder during those early sleepless nights!

We've been so well supported by our families and friends. We are constantly saying to each other how lucky we are to have these awesome people in our lives. We have not cooked one dinner yet, and Emily is almost six weeks old! How spoiled are we?
We've had lots of visitors too, and we're so glad so many of our friends have been able to meet Emily while she's so little.

Now, almost six weeks into our new life, things are going very well. I'm getting more sleep and feeling less disoriented. We're getting used to being a family. I like it. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment