Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Special Gift

From their time living in Holland, the Groves have some very dear family friends. I had the privilege of meeting Eep ("Ape") & Lies ("Lease") T while Alasdair & I were studying in France during college. What I remember most is how incredibly friendly they were, that they treated us as adults (significant when you're 19!) and that Leis told me I had "very good in-laws." She was by far the first to refer to Al & Libbie as such, as Alasdair and I had only been dating a few months, and were still at least a year from being engaged. :) I'm not sure if she used that term because her English was very good but not perfect, or if she was trying to send me a message. Either way, we were honored when two years later she made the trip to the states for our wedding! Leis passed away from cancer in 2006. Apparently shortly before her death she had purchased and wrapped a gift for a friend's baby. When Eep heard that Emily had arrived, he contacted us to say that he had found this wrapped gift and could no longer remember who it had been intended for not what it was, but that if we would like a surprise gift, that he would like to send it to Emily "from Lies". Of course we were touched that he would think to send it to us, and it turned out to be this pretty yellow top that fits Emily just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment